Applied Health Fitness Psychology considers behavioral issues regarding exercise and nutrition using a research-to-practice approach. This comprehensive text explains how health fitness psychology has emerged from other parent disciplines to become a wide-ranging discipline that can be addressed in various exercise, fitness, and health settings, allowing both current and future professionals to assist their patients or clients in adopting healthier lifestyles.
Applied Health Fitness Psychology uses contributions from sport and exercise psychology, counseling and clinical psychology, exercise science, sports medicine, and behavioral medicine to provide a scientific basis for presenting strategies for behavior change. Unique to this text is a critical consideration of cultural, spiritual, and religious components as a factor in initiating and maintaining exercise behavior. The evidence-based approach will help readers use techniques and interventions that promote positive changes among various populations.
Students will grasp the scope of this emerging field by studying the following topics:
• The theoretical foundation of health behavior change and motivational theories
• Physical, cognitive, and motivational obstacles to adopting a healthy lifestyle
• Use of cognitive and behavioral strategies and interventions to promote exercise adherence, set goals, and improve fitness and exercise performance
• Steps that will help students become professionals in health fitness psychology
• Considerations in working with special populations, such as older adults, pregnant women, individuals recovering from injuries, and individuals with chronic conditions or dysfunctional eating behaviors
Chapter objectives at the start and a summary, review of key concepts, and student activity at the end of each chapter help students and instructors stay focused on understanding the main concepts and putting this information into practice. Highlight boxes, tables, and figures throughout the book keep readers engaged with the material. From Research to Real World sidebars show students how the information in the text can be used in multiple professions and illustrate the many applications for health fitness psychology in today’s society. For instructors, Applied Health Fitness Psychology includes online access to a presentation package and test package.
While modifying a person’s—or a culture’s—disdain for exercise will not happen quickly, Applied Health Fitness Psychology equips aspiring and practicing professionals working in a variety of health, fitness, and allied health fields with strategies to help people make the shift to more active and healthy lifestyles.